About Us

Granting Philosophy

The Sitka Foundation's Values

We created the Sitka Foundation to support organizations dedicated in one way or another to the protection of the environment and promotion of biodiversity.

The loss of biodiversity and continuing destruction of our natural environment pose an existential threat to human populations and countless other species. The twin enemies of nature – growth in human populations and growth in per-capita consumption, and the associated pollution of earth’s air and water - must moderate either by design or disaster. Climate change, ocean contamination, destruction of natural lands by the bulldozer or plough, and damage to the earth’s endowment of soil and groundwater are reversible with dedicated and educated effort. Our foundation serves this effort. We note that more than 99% of all giving goes to “human” causes. The Sitka Foundation exclusively supports the other 1% since, without clean water, clean air and healthy biodiversity, human existence is impossible.

The Sitka Foundation directs its limited resources to support and speak for the millions of species without voices whose existence is being threatened by our heavy human footprint. We are convinced that economic growth cannot persist as it has for the past 200 years without degrading our global environment beyond redemption. Humans must moderate their expectations, reduce their per-capita consumption and live more sustainably. Exponential growth in any finite natural system always ends in collapse; to avoid this, humans must adapt their lifestyles to more permanence. But we cannot be all things to all causes, and our focus on environment and biodiversity comes first. For example, climate change is a drastic threat to many species, yet it is a subset of all the issues affecting biodiversity.

Granting FAQ

The Sitka Foundation supports environmental changemakers in our communities who preserve biodiversity and protect the environment. We do this through our strategic granting program to qualified donees, who are part of the greater landscape of environmental changemakers leading our country and environment to positive change. Positive change itself is accomplished through a myriad of ways. The Sitka Foundation granting program aims to support the following 4 key areas:

  1. 1. land, water, and ocean conservation
  2. 2. scientific research for nature and the environment
  3. 3. public engagement around the importance of a healthy environment
  4. 4. innovative conservation efforts in Canadian communities, at the local, provincial, and federal levels

We seek out impactful investment opportunities, meaningful relationships with conservation experts, and creative collaboration opportunities involving many stakeholders that result in positive change for our environment. We are only focussed on the Pacific Northwest at this time.

Contact Us

The Sitka Foundation is based in Vancouver, British Columbia on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.

Sitka Foundation

Our Areas of Focus

Grant FAQ & Requirements

Past Grants

Request Application

For general inquiries

For questions related to grants